Thursday 4 October 2012

Reading homework week 4 : Scaffolding

Scaffolding for second language writers: producing an academic essay
by Sara Cotterall and Robin Cohen




            Since I started the BEALS program, I have been introduced to a great number of learning theories, methods and approaches. One that have always interested me and that I have always thought that made sense was Vygotsky’s socio-constructivist approach. Especially the notion of Scaffolding, it is nevertheless to say that I was very interested in this article. I believe that Scaffolding is a great way to fill the learning gaps that students might experience during the course of their studies.
I found very interesting that the topics given to the students for the writing of the essay allowed them to reflect and use their own experiences and to activate their prior knowledge, this I believe reduced the stress level and helped to demonstrate their actual writing ability as there was less anxiety.
The second point of interest I have found in this article is how structured the writing task was. I believe that allowing students to work on a section of their essay at the time also reduced the anxiety and stress level. I think it is always a good idea to break down the task to be done, this way the essay does not seem to be a huge and endless work, it makes it “manageable” as cited by the author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment